Furniture Projects

Retro Chair Re-do

70's chair before{Before}

This was a really simple project, just a little sanding a couple coats of ebony stain later…

70's chair after{After}

A Well Traveled Dresser


After much deliberation about which direction to go with my dresser, I finally settled on the perfect re-do. I simply couldn’t decide on a color to paint the dresser, or even a variety of colors… It felt like too much of a commitment. I thought about just staining the whole thing, but without any hardware it would just be too plain.  I’ve always loved the look of maps, and so I decided to Mod Podge vintage maps to the face of my drawers.

I could not be happier with the result! The project in total only cost me about $30.

Here’s how I did it:

  1. I started by sanding down the whole dresser
  2. Then I applied a couple of coats of dark stain – Minwax in Mahogany – to the top and sides (I left the drawers unstained since I knew I’d be covering them later)
  3. I used five different vintage maps all from places I’d like to go ;) I measured the drawers and cut the maps to size
  4. Then I applied a layer of Mod Podge to the face of the drawers and stuck down the map
  5. I cut the maps a little big so I would have a some wiggle room, so after I stuck them down, I trimmed the excess
  6. Then came the final layer of Mod Podge and viola! A dresser transformation :)






20121231_164304-1-1Here’s the final before and after:



This was the most rewarding project I think I’ve ever done. I’m so thrilled with the outcome, I absolutely love my new one-of-a-kind dresser!

From Table to Bench


Here’s a little before and after project for all of you furniture DIY’ers and re-purposers. This was a super heavy, solid wood, hand-me-down table that we’ve re-purposed into a bench for the living room. The new use for the table was simply my suggestion, Betsy did all of the work to transform it into its new life as a glossy black bench. We’re also going to make a custom cushion for it with a bolster at the back, but we found these temporary cushions at Ikea (for cheap of course) and they fit right in with the rest of the decor, so they’ll suffice as placeholders for now.


A little sanding + spray paint works wonders… This project took only one afternoon, get motivated and you can do anything! :)

Antique Writing Desk Re-do

I’m so pleased with the way this little desk turned out! The white makes it feel clean and crisp, and really lets my red chair be the star. It took quite a bit of sanding, (as always) two coats of white primer, (I used a brush instead of spray paint for this project) and a final coat of ‘Parchment White’ paint. Click here for the story about the desk and to see more before photos.

OK, one last before and after…



Thrift Store Chair Re-do

{My rose chair is finally ready for its close-up!}

When I picked up this chair (see previous post here for the details) I knew I wanted something bright and poppy, so I decided to use a glossy red spray paint, (it took two thorough coats) after two coats of white primer and a lot of sanding. I chose a Robert Allen fabric called Lattiscape in a wonderful teal color called Lagoon. I love the contrast of the two bright colors with the geometric pattern, it makes this vintage chair feel totally updated.


Please leave a reply here

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s