After much deliberation about which direction to go with my dresser, I finally settled on the perfect re-do. I simply couldn’t decide on a color to paint the dresser, or even a variety of colors… It felt like too much of a commitment. I thought about just staining the whole thing, but without any hardware it would just be too plain. I’ve always loved the look of maps, and so I decided to Mod Podge vintage maps to the face of my drawers.
I could not be happier with the result! The project in total only cost me about $30.
Here’s how I did it:
- I started by sanding down the whole dresser
- Then I applied a couple of coats of dark stain – Minwax in Mahogany – to the top and sides (I left the drawers unstained since I knew I’d be covering them later)
- I used five different vintage maps all from places I’d like to go ;) I measured the drawers and cut the maps to size
- Then I applied a layer of Mod Podge to the face of the drawers and stuck down the map
- I cut the maps a little big so I would have a some wiggle room, so after I stuck them down, I trimmed the excess
- Then came the final layer of Mod Podge and viola! A dresser transformation :)
This was the most rewarding project I think I’ve ever done. I’m so thrilled with the outcome, I absolutely love my new one-of-a-kind dresser!